Friday, March 27, 2009

Transferring & Sorting Using Tongs

I gave Grace a pair of tongs and a bowl divided into three sections along with red, white, and blue chips. I first demonstrated to Grace how to transfer the colored chips using the tongs. I was curious to see what Grace would do next. Grace independently transferred and sorted the chips into the bowl according to color. Grace loved this activity so much that she transferred all of the chips seen here using the tongs! Using tongs is a creative way to teach children how to use the muscles for scissor cutting and also serves as a fun way to increase hand strength for fine motor activities.
As Grace was working on transferring and sorting the chips I noticed that Jack was closely watching what Grace was doing. I thought it would be fun for Jack to join in on the fun so I put several of the chips into a plastic bag so he could touch, feel, grab, shake, and experience them firsthand too. Jack did such a great job holding onto the bag and he was full smiles during this activity. Great job, Jack!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another idea for that book!!! :-)

Maddy said...

The strength of those tiny hands and the patience and persistence of that little mind is amazing. Jack's curiosity and watching and listening is captivating.
I am so blessed to have these two little children filling me with enchantment every moment.
Filled with smiles and love,
Maddy

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?