Sunday, March 22, 2009

Maine Maple Sunday

Today we went to Hilltop Boilers in our neighboring town of Newfield, Maine to celebrate Maine Maple Sunday. This is as much a celebration of the sugary sweet treat as it is one of the first signs of Spring. Yes, there is still a few feet of snow on the ground and it's expected to be 10 degrees tonight. It's Maine, we'll take what we can get.
Gracie Girl and Mommy tasted some fresh maple sap flowing from one of the trees at the Boilers. Gracie, and the rest of us, were disappointed to find out that it barely tastes of sugar. I guess this is why it takes 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of maple syrup. It truly is a labor intensive avocation.
Grace enjoyed sitting on one of the big tractors. We took pictures and smiled as she turned the wheel and pretended to drive. We were quickly brought back to reality as she became bored with turning the wheel and looked for the clutch and gearshift to make things happen. Why pretend when you can make the puppy hum?
Sweet jack ~ snugly warm slept through his first Maine Maple Sunday - so much sweeter than any syrup.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grace, I want you come to my house and I want to go to your house and I will do my best to make this happen. Seeing you have so much fun, makes me want to have fun with you. You can tell me how they make maple syrup. Yummy!
Hugs and kisses,
Rose

Anonymous said...

Maine sure does have a lot to offer, and you make the most of it (and the weather). I am amazed by how many gallons it takes to make one gallon of maple syrup. I have a new appreciation for this sweet treat and will be licking my fingers clean.
Grace, you look good on that tractor, a real natural.
XOXOXO,
Memere

Anonymous said...

How nice to see Papa Bear, Mama Bear and the cubs all enjoying their outing together. Of course I have tasted famous Vermont maple syrup. Though I guess I will have to ask Grace all about Maine's supply. I'm sure it is as sweet as Grace & Jack no doubt!
Love, Uncle Adam

Anonymous said...

And, to think I was just thinking about maple syrup today! You really know it's Spring in Vermont (Maine, too) when you hear that drip, drip sound of the sap, smell the steam from the sugar shack, and get that very first taste of this year's run! How do you like that for "Vermont" language!?!

I love the pictures of your family enjoying one of this year's first festivals together. I always look forward to seeing what new and exciting things you discover to do. What a beautiful family you are! Daddy is handsome, Mommy is so pretty, Grace is enchantingly beautiful and Jack is incredibly irresistible!

Grace loves new adventures and learning new things. She is something on that tractor! Jack will be ready to explore with Grace very soon. Right now, he is taking it all in and building up stamina to keep up.
Love to all you intrepid explorers,
Maddy xo

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?