Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Signing "I Love You!"

This is a picture of Grace learning to shape her hand into the sign language "I love you" sign. Grace now uses the hand sign for "I love you" several times each day to Jack and I, sometimes when we least expect it! The first time Grace signed this on her own made for one of those Mommy moments that I will never forget. Watching Grace master hand signs is enlightening. It makes me realize just how hard she is working to gain mastery of her little hands. Young children can't imitate these hand postures automatically. They contort their hands at first, twist and turn their bodies, even stick out their tongues (!) in an effort to get their fingers to assume the intended position. Only with repeated practice are they able to make the sign spontaneously. Imitating hand postures is a simple and a very rewarding way to work on hand skills every day as well as a great way to further develop language skills. Grace is also learning some hand signs for the letters of the alphabet. But, hands down, my favorite sign is "I love you."


Grace has been working to teach Jack sign language. I have told Grace that babies cry to express their needs and that Jack is working hard to use his sounds so that some day he can use words to communicate with us. Until then it will be easier for Jack to first use his hands to communicate with us ~ maybe even as early as this summer. I have started signing with Jack and Grace has been a tremendous helper with this. Each morning Grace gives Jack a sign language lesson. Grace sits next to Jack and demonstrates several signs to him. This morning I watched Grace's lesson from a distance. Grace said, "Jack. This is the sign for car. Jack. This is the sign for apple. Jack. This is the sign for weather, etc..." Grace would take Jack hands and have him form the signs too. I love that Grace continues to show an interest in sign language. Each day Grace asks me to learn several new signs. Grace knows approximately 75+ signs. We are very excited for Jack to learn sign language too and with Grace's help and enthusiasm, Jack will be signing in no time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Dearest Daughter Rebecca,
You are so amazing. I am in awe of your Mommy skills and the nurturing time that you give to your children. With every post, you touch my heart with your infectious spirit in the ways you engage Grace and Jack. Thank you for fulfilling me as your Mom with the time and love I watch you give to our babies in their innocent and timeless world.
Thank you, Rebecca for teaching Grace & Jack HOW to learn.
My Maddy Heart and My Mom Heart are bursting with So much Pride and So much Love,
Mom

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?