Monday, August 18, 2008

Grocery Shopping

Grace really loves the grocery store. To make the shopping experience even more exciting for her I have been making Grace her very own grocery list each time we go. I print the words of the food items that Grace is responsible for finding on a paper. Underneath the printed words, I write the numeral and draw pictures of the items so Grace can independently read her list. On the way to the grocery store this morning Grace sounded out the letters in the word "bananas" and kept saying, "Gracie girl find two bananas at grocery store." Grace proudly carried her list into the grocery store and told everyone she saw that she was going to get two bananas. Grace searched the produce section until she spotted the bright yellow fruit.
Grace counted out two bananas and put them into her small canvas bag. She carried her bag around the grocery store as we continued to shop. Grace loves her shopping list ~ it turns into an exciting treasure hunt for us each time we go to the store!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You girls make me smile.

I can picture Grace stating loudly "Gracie girl find two bananas at grocery store" to every person she sees, and possibly some dogs.

She is so proud of her many accomplishments - and I am so proud of her and her Mommy for being such a great teacher. If it were me, I would have spent all morning drawing something that Grace could recognize as a banana.

Marie said...

Sometimes I cannot help but wonder how different our world would be if each child born was as loved, as well thought about, included, blessed, and supported by attentive caring adults, as Gracie girl is …. It brings such peace to know such evolving love exists….

Anonymous said...

Love it!
1.)A+ for using a canvas bag (paper or plastic is so last year!)
2.)You can't do better than bananas. Tasty and nutritional.
3.)Great job in helping your mom with the grocery shopping. Sounds like a great time together.
Love, Uncle Adam

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, Rebecca, for so many reasons!
Grace, you are the cutest little shopper! I bet that you won't forget your canvas bag when you go into the store. Shame on Memere, but sometimes I forget mine in the trunk of the car.
Love you up and down and all around,
Memere

Anonymous said...

I almost think that this is the cutest post ever! I can just hear Grace talking with glee about her two bananas. She is something else! Rebecca, you are something else, also!! I LOVE you very, very , very much.
Maddy/Mom

PS~Adam and I are trying to find Lance Manly in the picture!

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?