Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Joy of Planting an Amaryllis Bulb


One of my favorite things about being a mother is seeing how the simple things in life bring such tremendous joy to my children. I also love how my children notice the teeniest of tiniest of details that most of us would overlook and how they always find the beauty in everything around them.

Yesterday morning I thought it would be nice to plant an amaryllis bulb, hoping to have it bloom for Christmas. I sat back and watched how taken Grace, Jack and Eve were with this simple activity. They spent over an hour planting an amaryllis bulb together. They discussed everything from the texture of the soil to every detail of the amaryllis bulb and stalk. Grace, Jack and Eve decided that their favorite part of planting the amaryllis was the way the soil smelled when they added the water -- "just like spring!" What a perfectly lovely way to spend a morning.

1 comment:

Mom to Rebecca, said...

Dearest Rebecca,
Isn't seeing life through the eyes of your children a gift! The ways in which Grace, Jack, and Eve take in all of those minute details forever amazes me to no end. It is because of you and your values as their Mama and the freedom and home that you create for them that provides this wonder. Now, my eyes see my grown daughter as a mother and talk about beauty and joy!

Cherish all the observations that your children share as your bulb grows and blooms....just like life!

I Love You, Rebecca, wife, mama, sister, and daughter,
Mom

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?