Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Nutcracker

Grace and I went to the Maine State Ballet's production of the Nutcracker yesterday afternoon. This was our second year attending the ballet together. I have always loved the Nutcracker -- there is something very magical about watching it. However, despite all of the beautiful things that were occurring on stage I couldn't take my eyes off of Grace as she took in all of the dancing, costumes, the set and the music. Grace's eyes sparkled with excitement and wonder throughout the entire performance and it was a joy for me to watch her.

Following the performance of the Nutcracker, Grace went to the front of the balcony to get a closer look of the stage. We sat up in the balcony again this year so that Grace could also watch the musicians perform during the ballet. We have been listening to Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker music all year so it was fascinating for Grace to watch a live performance of the music along with the dancing.

I was so looking forward to attending the Nutcracker with Grace again since we went last December. This is a holiday tradition that I can't wait to continue with both of my daughters every Christmastime for many, many years to come. Maybe next year I'll even be able to convince Bob to give up his afternoon of "man time" with our sweet Jack-a-roo and have them come with us too! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watching Grace's fascination and awe is even better than watching a prize winning performance of the Nutcracker. Its worth is in how it touches the hearts and souls of its audience, and, from Grace's reaction, it was a indeed a winner and Grace was the star.

We love you, Princess.

XOXOXO,
Memere and Pepere

memories + traditions, said...

I love traditions. Spending an afternoon with Grace at the theater has to be like a cup of hot Christmas cocoa topped to the brim with whipped cream and a cheery on top.
Sweet, warm, and full of overflowing conversation!

Rebecca, it brought loving tears to my eyes to read the word *daughters*--I still 'almost' cannot believe that you will have two girls. And, a HUGE, yes to the boys going next year! Jack would adore the ballet and Bob can pretend he is at a sports event! Family fun!

Grace, you look so pretty and so grown up now that you are four. I love the way you read the program and peeked out at the stage and orchestra. What memories.

It's snowing here! Have a beautiful beginning to your week.
Love, Maddy
xox

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?