Thursday, October 30, 2008

Grace Is Reading!

Grace has started to sound out words in her books with great accuracy. Grace also enjoys playing letter/sound word games. One of her favorite games is to think of words that begin with a specific letter. Today, I asked Grace to think of all the words that begin with the letter "f." Grace responded by saying, "Fffffffff, fish, ffffff fox, ffffff fisher cat, fffff fawn." Grace demonstrates a very strong understanding of letter names and sounds. Grace has recently started to read consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) words! Today, I put the VC combination -at on a tray and put different consonants at the beginning to create words. Grace carefully sounded out each letter and read all the words including: hat, mat, bat, cat, and sat. I then put the VC combinations of -it and -ut and Grace read all of those words too. Grace also loves to sing the alphabet song and is able to tell me which letters are uppercase versus lowercase.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Goodness!
Not that I am too surprised...I knew that this had to be the next step for Grace. I want to come up right this very minute and play the
sound game! Our Grace is Amazing!
When you have a free moment, Rebecca call me so that I can hear Grace, too.
Love, Maddy

Take the very best of care, Rebecca. Take a nap with Grace.
I Love You, Mom

Anonymous said...

I've heard about young readers, but, Grace, you are the first one that I personally know. And soooo young! How astonishing! I can't wait to hear you myself.
L-O-V-E,
Memere

Anonymous said...

Grace,
You are incredible! I love your word family games! And, I love that your "f" words all come from your wonderful outdoor experiences... As I said before, these are the same activities that my first graders are doing!!! You are an amazing learner... There is no stopping you...
Hugs from chilly Vermont,
DOnna
P.S. Thank you for my boo-ti-ful Halloween card. I love it! :-)

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?