Saturday, November 7, 2009

Gathering Bittersweet

I will always remember searching for bittersweet with my Mom (Maddy) every autumn to cut for a beautiful fall decoration in our home. My Mom and I would often spot bittersweet while we were on a family drive. My Dad (Poppy) would have to pull the car over in some very remote places so my Mom and I could gather some of the orange berries. I am reminded of this sweet childhood memory every autumn and because of that I have always loved bittersweet.

All summer long Grace, Jack, and I admired a beautiful vine that grew across the street from our home. It was bursting with perfectly round green berries all summer long. Jack and Grace would gently pull down on the vine each time we walked past it. Over the past few weeks we watched the green berries slowly change color to a beautiful yellow. Just this past week the yellow berries turned orange and lo and behold ~ bittersweet. All summer long I was unaware that the vine growing was actually bittersweet. Grace and I went on a walk this morning to cut some of the bittersweet just as my Mom and I did so many years ago.
Grace cut several sprigs of bittersweet and carefully placed them into glass jars. We put the bittersweet jars on our dining room table, adjacent to our thankful box, for a beautiful and natural decoration for our upcoming Thanksgiving table.

5 comments:

a memory and a visit!, said...

Oh, such a sweet walk down memory lane early on a Sunday morning. I do so remember, Rebecca. Even to this very day, I am always on the lookout during Autumn walks for bittersweet.

I love seeing Grace carrying on our tradition. Your table looks lovely, just what a nature table should look like this time of year.

.......and, Poppy & I get to see it later this afternoon!!!! We are coming for a whole day and a half to absorb all of our Grace!

We will be showering Jack and Grace with LOVE and more LOVE!
I will be counting each mile as we go--you know that I have the exact mileage all figured out!!

Until later today...
Have a fun-filled party with Rose & Kimberlee,
Love, Maddy (Poppy, too)

PS~I enjoyed reading the story about the "mystery" vine. The children and I can cut a sprig for us to take home!

Aunt Melinda said...

What a beautiful table decoration you have. I just love autumn and all the colors. Glad your Mom and Dad are coming to see you guys. Michaela and Madelin are in California for their daddy's ten year reunion and I am missing them. They have called us several times so that is nice. Give Grace and Jack a kiss for us.
Love you,
Aunt Melinda

Donna said...

I, too have fond memories of gathering bittersweet with my Mom and Nana and making festive fall decorations with it... I found a patch myself last week, just enough to add a touch of fall to my door wreath and dining table... all too soon it will be replaced with evergreens!
Glad to hear Maddy and Poppy will be visiting and glowing in Grace and Jack time...
Enjoy,
Donna xoxo

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful trip down memory lane for you, maddy and poppy.

imagine.... someday your little ones will pass on this beautiful tradition
to their own children and that is a beautiful thing.

rebecca, i can't get over how big grace and jack are getting....their faces exude pure joy and beauty.

maddy and poppy, i know you will have the bestest time with your beautiful family in maine.

love, elsie

Aunt Melinda said...

Thanks for the pictures of bittersweet. I had read your post on Mon. and loved the pictures of the bittersweet. Then that day in my extra reading class RTI, we were reading "Maniac Magee" and in the book they were using bittersweet to decorate with and my students did not know what it looked like so I pulled up your pictures....perfect timing. Your table looks gorgeous. Thanks for helping with my students too.
Love,
Aunt Melinda

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?