Monday, May 14, 2007

Fairy House

Grace and I spent the afternoon on Mackworth Island. It is a beautiful island right off the coast that highlights the very best of what Maine has to offer - the ocean and the solitude of the forest. My very favorite spot on the island is located just off the walking path - it's tucked away amongst the tall pine trees. It is an area that is dedicated to the "fairies" that live in the forest. There are literally hundreds of little fairy houses that the island children visitors have made out of all natural materials. While on our walk around the island, Grace and I collected a variety of materials (white birch tree bark, pine needles, branches, pine cones, leaves, and grass) for our fairy house. When we came to the forest fairy area, we found the perfect spot to make our house for a forest fairy: Grace's very first fairy house! This is a tradition I will continue with Grace each time we visit Mackworth Island. After Grace made her fairy house, we spread out a blanket and spent the remainder of our afternoon on the island looking at books and enjoying the beautiful scenery together.

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Hi Rebecca and Grace,
After talking to you about your afternoon on the island I remembered that a few years ago I saw a book about the fairy houses on that island. I did some research and finally found the book on Amazon.....of course, I just had to order it! Poppy and I want to build a fairy house the next time we visit, too.
Grace, I hope that you enjoy all of your special outings with your Mommy. I'm sure that the fairies are thanking you for adding a small pretty touch to their spot!
I am always instantly revitalized when I think of how curious you are about everything!
I Love You and as the fairies say,"Together or apart you're always in my heart." Maddy

The Ousdahls said...

What a nice outing to share together. It is so important to make memories and set traditions to enjoy for years to come. With Love, Melissa

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful little girl you are. I am glad that you are enjoying the great outdoors. See you in August.
Love you,
Aunt Melinda

Anonymous said...

What a marvelous adventure that you both experienced together, and how nice to have a growing tradition. I love the expression on Grace's face and really looking forward to hear her start talking. I fondly remember Rebecca and I having great afternoons playing and swimming on the shore of Lake Champlain and in winter enjoying the snow and sliding down our backyard hill. Rebecca is such a good mother and the world seems so perfect when I think about them together.
Love, Uncle Adam

Anonymous said...

What a precious gift, the gift of imagination! Any true fairy would love to live in that house.
Love,
Memere

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?