Thursday, March 22, 2007

What a Difference a Year Makes!

It was March 22, 2006 when I found out I was going to have a baby. Hooray! Ever since I was a little girl I had always dreamed about becoming a Mommy and it was finally happening. As soon as I found out the news I immediately called Bob at work to tell him he was going to be a Daddy. Looking back now, I wish I had waited to tell him the news in person but I wasn't thinking rationally and my first reaction was to pick up the phone. Later that day Bob met me at my workplace and we went out for a nice dinner to celebrate. We immediately discussed baby names and both knew that we wanted the name Jack for a boy and were undecided between the names Grace, Anna, or Violet for a girl. I couldn't wait to tell my parents after our dinner. I tried calling my Mom over and over and over again but I couldn't reach her! I must have called her at least twenty times within a two minute time span! I knew my father was at work because it was the middle of tax season so just like I did with Bob I called my Dad at work too! He was so excited by our news that he immediately left work and went home. A short time later my mother arrived home from dinner with friends and my father broke the big news to her. My Mom immediately called me and we talked for hours. I remember my Mom saying she had waited her whole life for this. She had even started a secret grandmother's box many years earlier! I then called my brother and grandparents. They were thrilled with our news too. Bob and I decided to wait and tell his family in person that weekend. It was so hard to keep it from them for two whole days! I'll never forget that very special day one year ago. Grace is my wish come true.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Oh, I so remember this day one year ago. Do you know how you always remember where you were, what you were doing, what you were wearing, and even what the weather was when you are overcome with monumental news? That is how I will always feel about March 22,2006. I was out with friends for dinner. They drove me home (just around this time last year--6:30pm) and I was very surprised and a little worried to see that our whole house was lit up inside and out. Why was Walter home so early(he is never home before 7:30)during tax season, I wondered. He greeted me at the door with the strangest look. I immediately asked,"What is going on?" Walter/Poppy said,"Come and look at the calendar." I thought oh no, what did I forget to do today. Then I read in big, bold writing...Today is the day we found out we are going to be Grandparents! Do know the saying---I couldn't believe my very eyes, well,--- I had never experienced it before that moment! I truly had to re-read that notation over 3 times before it became real(sort of)to me. Waler and I broke into tears of joy, surprise and love. I only know that I kept asking him,"Is this really true, how do you know, and why wasn't I home!?!" Walter said," Bob and Rebecca want you to call them right away." My hands were shaking, my heart pounding, my eyes were full of joyful tears, and my feet were about a foot off the floor. I must say that was one of the very best moments of my life! ME--a grandmother--a Maddy!! YEAH! HIP-HIP-HORRAY! How lucky can one girl get!
We had the best time preparing for our first grandchild. I'll write more about that later(this is becoming sooo long!).

I love my incredible daughter Rebecca, my marvellous son-in-law Bob, and my senational grand-daughter Grace with my whole heart.

You are all my reward "dessert" in life. Mary Ann/Mom/Maddy

Anonymous said...

The weather in Burlington was hinting at spring-time today so I decided to walk down to the lake Champlain waterfront and enjoy lunch on a bench. It will be so wonderful when Grace can visit and we all can walk along the boardwalk and feed the ducks there. Also they have a great commuter train that starts down by the lake which would be great fun for Grace to experience. Although the lake ferry ride to New York is an option as well! I also remember so well when Rebecca called me to let me know the news. I was walking home from work and I felt such joy and happiness for my sister and Bob. My family dynamic which I had only been familiar with for 32 years suddenley was going to have a new addition! I love being a uncle, Grace has brought great happiness to my life.
Love, Adam

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?