Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Long Pond -- A Hidden Gem

After story time at our library today one of the mothers there mentioned a place in a nearby town called Long Pond. Since Long Pond was less than fifteen minutes away from our house I decided we would drive there before heading home for lunch just to check it out. The directions given to me ended near an old gate along a remote back road. This gate was the entrance to a hidden path which led into the woods. Grace, Jack, and I followed that short path which magically opened up before us into Long Pond. I was immediately struck by how stunningly beautiful the scenery before me was and I couldn't believe how lucky we were to have found this place. Long Pond is surrounded by mountains on all sides and the water there is warm and crystal clear. It is the perfect place for our family because the water is shallow enough for Grace to walk all the way out to the center of the very large pond and for Jack to crawl and play in the water well off of the shoreline! We were all so taken with Long Pond that Grace, Jack, and I lost track of time and ended up playing there -- and without any bathing suits or towels! By the time we left for home we were all very wet and sandy but oh so happy to have found this perfect place. It truly is a hidden gem and we can't wait to spend so many more of our days at Long Pond.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

How Beautiful! I am so glad you guys found this secret gem. Enjoy!!

Melissa

maddy, said...

Oh, Rebecca, how I did so love reading about your adventure today!
I felt like I was right along side you, walking that path with Grace and Jack.

It must have been magical...just like a Secret Garden...and all along so close to home, just awaiting your presence. I am filled with happiness that you found such a place of beauty, peace and serenity. This is what 'Sweet Summer Memories' are made of.

I would LOVE to walk along that path and visit this pond on my next visit. Will you take me?
Love to all my adventurers in Maine,
Maddy

maddy, again, said...

....after reading your story again, I just have to think that fairies must live along the shoreline of Long Pond! Be on the look out the next time you are there! Magical!

And, if there are fairies to be found, I just know one little girl who will find them! And, one little boy who might help!

Anonymous said...

Perfect! An unsolicited gift of magic and beauty! Moments such as you described stay with you in the deepest recesses of your being. Yeah! Happy Day!
XOXOXO,
Memere

P.S. Thank goodness it so close so you didn't have to stay in soggy and sandy clothes for long, not that anyone was complaining.

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?