Friday, January 16, 2009

One, Two, Three....Un, Deux, Trois....Uno, Dos, Tres

While Grace brushes her teeth it has become part of her tooth brushing routine for me to count to thirty to make sure her teeth get sparkly clean! I thought I would mix things up a bit a few nights ago by counting to ten in French. Grace was intrigued with this change and asked me several times to, "Count more in French." I repeated the French number sequence several more times before the tooth brushing ended. The next evening while Grace brushed her teeth, much to my surprise, she clearly counted all the way to ten in French! I should not have been too surprised by this because Grace has an amazing ability to retain and recall new information. However, I wasn't expecting Grace to learn to count in French after only hearing the numbers a handful of times. Grace can also count to six in Spanish. I'll have to brush up on my French a bit and learn some Spanish. Grace is now very interested in learning new languages, especially French.

Keeping on the number theme, Grace made a sticker number card today. This was a simple activity where Grace helped me fold a paper accordion style. I then wrote numbers on each fold, all the way to ten. Grace chose stickers and placed the appropriate number of stickers under each number. Finally, Grace counted the stickers under each number. Grace chose to count the number of stickers in French, of course!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just about speechless! Not knowing too many words in any other language, I am excited that Grace is loving learning these new words. Memere and Pepere will have to hear Grace speak French. They will be thrilled! Oh no, just when I thought that I was almost caught up with Grace's knowledge, now something new! Amazing Grace! Amazing Mommy!
Love (in every language!), Maddy

Anonymous said...

A linguist in the family! Really!
How exciting! Well, I know what phrase I want to say to you, Grace,
"Je t'aime beaucoup".
Memere

Anonymous said...

Ek, do, tin, char, panch, chey, sat, ath, nau, das
एक दो तीन चार पाँच छह सात आठ नौ दस
Counting to 10 in Hindi. Something fun and unique I'm sure Grace can learn to do!
Sarah

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?