Friday, January 25, 2008

Love of Learning

I feel so fortunate to be home full-time with my beautiful daughter. It is a true gift to watch Grace grow and learn so many new things each and every day. I love seeing the sparkle in Grace's eyes and joy in her movements when she learns something new. I am in awe of Grace ~ she is only thirteen months old and she truly loves to learn. Whenever I'm asked what Grace likes the first thought that comes to mind is that Grace loves learning. Grace now names twelve letters all by herself (a, b, c, e, g, i, k, m, o, p, r, t). She loves to point to letters in books and name them. Just this week, Grace started recognizing her name in print and she says "ace" when asked, "What is your name?" Grace has also begun to fill in the letters a and e in her name when I start spelling her name out loud. Grace says "three" in response to, "1, 2....." Grace also names many shapes including circle, star, heart, triangle & oval and identifies squares and rectangles. She says the words open/close, up/down, stop/go & in/out during her play. Grace also uses many signs. Her favorite sign this week is, "my turn." Grace can name many signs when she sees them including: more, all done, my turn, hot, cold, hat, book, cat, mommy, daddy, stop, go, bus, apple, cheese, toast, drink, eat, up, down, open, close, train, car, where, and jump. This week Grace has been trying to jump! When Grace hears the word "jump" she squats down as far as she can and pops up quickly. Her feet have yet to leave the floor but the effort is there. Grace rolled over head first for the first time tonight. Grace has also been dancing A LOT! Much to our delight, we find Grace dancing in her crib when she first wakes up in the morning. Grace also dances whenever she hears music and she even dances upon seeing something that she knows makes music. Grace fills our lives with great joy, happiness, and laughter. She is the light of our lives.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel that Grace will be an EVEN "more new girl" when we see her next! I am beaming with much happiness and pride right now. Rebecca, you are a beautiful and wonderful Mommy. I am so proud and so full of love for the job that you do with your daughter. I cannot wait to tell Grace how special you are in my eyes, too. Grace-ace is just amazing! A love a learning is the key to all things! I am just beside myself with love and shining with pride.

Love to Bob(wonderful Daddy), Rebecca(perfect Mommy) and My little-"Ace" the brightest little girl in EVERY possible way,
Mary Ann/Mom/Maddy

Anonymous said...

I just read this quote in our weekly school bulletin and I thought of you and wanted to share it.

Teaching is the greatest act of optimism. Colleen Wilcox -

(American school administrator)

Anonymous said...

Wow, she really is learning a lot. Goood going Rebecca, you are a large part of her success. When I see Michaela and Grace and then look at some of my school kids I wonder if anyone spent any time with them when they were little. I am so glad that Melissa and you are both able to stay home with your girls. You are both great Moms and your girls are so smart. It is such an important job. Tell Grace that I recognized the Wheels on the Bus book. I have read it many times to MJ. Have a great time learning Grace. You are a cutie.
Love,
Aunt Melinda

Anonymous said...

brilliant!!!!! keep up the amazing job you and bob are doing with your little angel.

love elsie

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?