Thursday, November 17, 2011

Painting our Thankful Tree

It is so important to reinforce the concept of what it means to be thankful and ways to express how much we have to be thankful for. Every year around Thanksgiving time we make our own thankful project as a means to concretely see our thankful wishes. In years past we have made thankful boxes and thankful leaves which allowed us the opportunity to write and draw what we are thankful for. This year we are making a thankful tree. Jack painted the tree yesterday morning while Grace was at school and when Eve was napping. We will cut out Jack's painting into the shape of a tree and place it on our wall. Tiny scraps of yellow, orange and red pieces of paper will be placed near the tree so that Grace and Jack can write or draw what that they are thankful for. This year I will write what makes Eve smile or laugh and place that on the tree for her first Thanksgiving. We will tape the pieces of paper directly on our tree so that our thankful wishes resemble autumn leaves. I'll post a picture of our thankful tree next week for Thanksgiving.

Update: We finished our Thankful Tree this morning and hung it in our dining room wall. It warms my heart to see how much Grace and Jack are thankful for and how much they are enjoying this activity. Our tree is already bursting with so many beautiful thankful leaves! I'll share them all with you next week.

"Being thankful opens us up to receiving all kinds of wonderful blessings. When in a state of gratefulness, we acknowledge our true selves & radiate this energy to others." ~Unknown

2 comments:

a very thankful Mom, said...

I love the messages you give to your family. The month of November is one of my favorites because of the ways we spread our thanks out to the world. It all begins in our own homes and lives. Your kidlets have been given the most special gift of gifts to learn and share this energy. Talk about heart warming!

Jack is Zen-like in this photo of beginning the tree. I love the idea of this tree as it grows and spreads in your room. I will be adding many wishes to it when we arrive next week.

I am so thankful for my family that I love with my whole heart,
Mom

mom, said...

...oh, forgot to say how much I like your new blog-look, Rebecca. Nice job.

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?