Monday, December 3, 2012

The Birthday Cake...Three + Three = Six

*Grace smiling when she first sees her birthday cake*

The birthday cake was the finishing touch at the end of Grace's special day yesterday.  I was secretly hoping to make Grace's birthday cake this year but I gave Grace the choice of having me make it or choosing her own.  Grace opted to choose her own cake.  Honestly, I really can't blame her.  I think Grace knew that if I were to make it that I would more than likely put in some wheat germ and flaxseed, substitute white flour for whole grain wheat and add some vegetable, probably kale (it is a super food after all!), into the cake batter.  When Grace and I were at the bakery together yesterday I simply smiled when Grace chose a cake with a thick layer of sugary frosting with brightly colored pink frosting swirls...thank goodness for this mama that birthday cakes only come once a year.  ;)

What I do love so much about Grace's birthday cake this year is the story behind the candles and how much it reflects who Grace is.  While Grace was in school last week Eve, Jack and I went shopping for her birthday candles.  While we were looking at the number candles it was Jack who smiled and said, "We should get threes."  I wasn't sure why Jack wanted to get the number three for Grace's sixth birthday so I asked him.  Jack said that we should get two number threes because 3 + 3 makes 6.  I thought this was such a clever idea and absolutely perfect for Grace.  Grace loves math and numbers so I knew that she would find this very funny...and she did.  It was a fun and silly way to end her birthday.  Now, in just twelve days we will be celebrating 2 + 2 and shortly after that 1 + 1 and we can't wait!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really clever and celebratory.
Grace's joy radiates and is so contagious! Her smile is brighter than the lights on the Christmas tree. Happy, joyous sixth year, our special Grace!

XOXOXO,
Memere and Pepere

Maddy, said...


Love reading the stories you shared, Rebecca!

The cake story is perfect! I could just see Grace's eyes and hear her voice when she chose that cake with the inches of sugary frosting and the artificial coloring. We all know well how Gracie talks about 'artificial coloring'!!

And, only your children would come up with such an amazing birthday candle twist! Way to go, Jack, for thinking of numbers to add (!) such a perfect finish to the day. I have never thought of that idea ever! I love it, Jack!

We are still finding it incredible that Grace is now six and real soon Jack and Eve will add another year on, too.

Love the numbers, the math, the cake, the Christmas tree, that smile :) , and all the love,
Maddy

Proud Poppy said...

Happy Birthday, Gracie Girl.
You always bring a smile to my face.
Love,
Poppy

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?