Friday, May 15, 2009

Grace's Smoothie!

Grace loves making smoothies. I LOVE this smoothie recipe because it is full of vitamins, protein, and healthy fats. What a great way to start our day! It's also a great way for us to get a full serving of leafy greens and several servings of fruits. Grace's smoothie tastes delicious...I promise! Here are the ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup of plain cow kefir
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 1/2 cup of 100% juice
  • 1 cup of frozen fruit. Frozen blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, mango, or peaches are good ones to try. Today Grace did a combination of frozen peaches, cherries, and strawberries.
  • 1 frozen smoothie packet of unsweetened Acai berries (found in organic grocery stores or at your local co-op). Acai berries are delicious and are so good for you! Acai berries are considered a new super food.
  • 1 tablespoon of healthy oil. Grace used a flax/sunflower blend - a great source of omega-3s!
  • 1 heaping spoonful of almond butter
  • 1-1/2 cups of a leafy green vegetable (e.g., baby spinach, red or green kale, red or rainbow chard)
  • 1 or 2 bananas

Blend all of the above ingredients until smooth. We frequently double or even triple the recipe so we have enough smoothie to last us for a few days. YUMMY (it really is)!

2 comments:

love new recipes from Grace! said...

I'm running out right this minute to the Co-op to buy all these ingredients. I am so glad that Grace is coming next week to teach me how to make this smoothie. I feel badly that I do not know what cow kefir and Acai berries are! I'm sure Uncle Adam does, though! This will be perfect for me to learn from Grace, and just maybe I can be healthier! I'm getting the blender all ready.
Can't wait! Love, Maddy

Anonymous said...

Grace, Memere is going to go to the store and ask for help in finding the ingredients for your special smoothies. I know that Rose and Kimberlee will enjoy trying them with me. If I have a problem, I will give you a call.
Thank you, Rebecca, for sharing this tried and true recipe.
Love you,
Memere

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?