Friday, November 8, 2013

My Little Engineer at Work

These past few weeks have been quite busy so I was very excited to have a quiet morning at home with Jack and Eve today.  After we dropped Grace off at school we came home and did several fun projects together -- and we all decided it would be best to stay in our pajamas until it was time to pick up Grace!  :)  I love these type of days, where our schedule is completely free with no time constraints.

Just before lunchtime today I presented Jack with a big bag of plastic cups.  I had got them for Jack the day before, knowing how much he would enjoy building with them.  Jack is such a deep and detailed thinker and instead of diving in to immediately begin building with the cups, he sat with me to come up with a plan for his construction.  Jack talked for the longest time about how important it was to build a solid base to support a high structure that he was planning on making and the best way to do that.

After watching Jack this morning I smiled because he reminded me so much of a little engineer!  I just love how Jack is always exploring how and why things work, how he takes just about every item apart and how much he enjoys a challenge.  He also is very creative and practical and is great at applying objective and subjective reasoning.  I saw all of these skills at work this morning as Jack was building with his plastic cups.  This was such a simple activity but it was filled with so much thinking and learning from beginning to end!



I'll post more pictures over the weekend of our fun Friday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So impressive! Not an easy task to stabilize a structure of this size, yet Jack did it so well.
His thoughtful process and dexterity wow us. "Hats off" to you, Jack.

Love and kudos,
Memere and Pepere

P.S. Could Jack be the next generation of engineers and builders from the Leger and Prunier families?

Anonymous said...

So impressive! Not an easy task to stabilize a structure of this size, yet Jack did it so well.
His thoughtful process and dexterity wow us. "Hats off" to you, Jack.

Love and kudos,
Memere and Pepere

P.S. Could Jack be the next generation of engineers and builders from the Leger and Prunier families?

Maddy!, said...


From the moment I saw this picture of Jack and his building skills I thought of the Leger and Prunier engineers and builders!!

Jack does have quite the mind for thinking a project through from beginning to end. I love this about him! Just one of the many qualities to love about this incredible boy!

Oh yes, please, do share much more with us about your Friday. I love a pajama day. Jack is as cute as it gets in his footsie!!

I Love You, Jack, so much.
Maddy
xox

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?