Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Learning About the Scientific Method


We started a week long science experiment yesterday. I placed an egg inside of a glass filled with vinegar. We will be observing what happens to the egg throughout the week. My goal was to keep this science experiment simple so that we could focus on the terminology associated with the scientific method and discuss each step of the process. I asked Grace and Jack what they thought would happen to the egg throughout the week. They each came up with some great ideas. We then talked about how each idea or guess is called a hypothesis. We also talked about what they were seeing happening to the egg inside of the glass or their observations. We immediately noticed bubbles collecting around the egg shell. I explained to Grace and Jack that this was a sign that a chemical reaction was taking place. They were both so excited that they began clapping their hands! We will be collecting and recording data throughout the week on the changes that we notice until the end result. I'll post pictures of what happens to our egg at the end of the week!

Grace and Jack came up with many great hypotheses about what would happen to the egg, however, I must admit that my favorite one was as follows:

"I think that the egg will turn into a truck tomorrow. (Long pause). No, I think it will turn into an excavator!" This was followed by a big smile and a bit of a twinkle in this childs' eyes. Can you guess who came up with this one?!!!!! :)

No comments:

Got Gracie, Jack & Eve?